Friday, March 19, 2010

Seven Sins, Revisited

Its amazing how life forces you to change your outlook, how it manages to rein you in when you seem to be getting ahead of yourself and how it makes itself come to a grinding halt altogether. It is not yet one year since I had written about my own Seven Sins. And I marvel how I have been made to eat my own words after one year. I have been made to eat the humble pie. Now I am not flying with eagle wings, soaring above the nondescript multitude. I now cannot afford the magnanimousity I had taken to be granted of myself. Never before have I had to look forward at such a bleak and uncertain future. It is with a radical change in perceptions that I now rewrite my thoughts on my sins. 

Pride- I used to be proud. It did not matter to me whether it was for my benefit or for my loss. I thought myself sheltered from people or things because of a monumental ego. It made me wax with pride to believe that I could revel in mediocrity while being above it and being aware of it. But what of it now, that I have rendered myself mediocre in all eyes-be it that of others or mine. Where does that leave me now? When self-doubt gnaws at my pride, eating at the remnants of self confidence and making my knees go weak. I think I never missed being proud as I do of this moment.

Envy- It is human to be envious, I concede now and not the lament of the weak-willed. The nonchalance that precedes the apathy at the success of your competition, always leads to failure in the long run. It is envy that makes you hungry, doesnot let you sleep in peace, harangues you until you decide to either rise up to the occasion or slink away unnoticed into pall of failure where it consumes you. But that is life. It is as fair as you decide it to be.

Wrath- I am wrathful. The anger that turns inwards burns my whole soul, arresting my whole being in paroxysms of self-hatred. It does not leave me in peace for a second. It does not let the bygones to be bygones. It twists the fabric of me and wishes that it had the tremendous power to wrench the part of me that has brought this day upon me.

Sloth- This is the sin that describes me best. This is the part of me that decided that I should be the grasshopper and not the ant. It has a faithful sidekick too-Procrastination. Amazingly I used to be proud of this pair not long ago. Its only when you taste the bitter fruit of failure that you have to rethink of everything. And yet knowing all this, I tremble to think of Sloth's overbearing influence on me.

Greed- Nowadays I am not just greedy about the small things in life, I am also greedy about the larger things and if I do admit, especially so. I am materialistic since now I know it is easiest to be non-materialistic when everything is within your grasp. Love and companionship, the things I used to be greedy about are intangible, not a blue-chip investment for one's greed. Greed is best served when it is meant for objects that can be attained and not pipe dreams.

Gluttony-When you have remained hungry for the better part of four years, one knows how to value food. And this reminds me of beer, something that I believe can sustain me now. This one sin is not going to change hopefully under any circumstances.

Lust-I dont believe myself when I re-read what I wrote last year. What positive frame of mind possessed me to see that vision in red, I do not know but I now assure myself I am well cured of it. My lust is common and ordinary now, hopefully to my satisfaction.

1 comment:

The West Wind said...

Wow.. good one.. See how things change.. :P I am sure soon things will take a total new turn.. Cheers to a new beginning which is coming soon.
Oh and yeah amazing post..